Friday, January 3, 2014

You Say You Want A Resolution? Dance!


I don’t know about you, but I generally find the act of making New Year’s resolutions an invitation for frustration and disappointment as, usually, maybe two or three weeks in, I realize that I have- sigh- failed once again. I mean, who needs that kind of pressure?! I am hoping that this year, after living thirty-something years on this planet, I finally have a better sense of what is reasonable and realistic to ask of myself.  So this year I am trying something new. This year, I want to keep things nice and simple, and am opting for itsy bitsy one-word reminders of the doable daily acts that I absolutely 100% know nurture my soul and help me stay happy and healthy. I am going to write them down on a scrap of paper, decorate it with polka dots and happy faces, and post it up on the inside of my front door so everyday as I rush off to work, I will see them and say, “Oh yeah. Good idea!”

So this is them- my five super simple words to remember:

Dance
Write
Breathe
Walk
Listen

Um, yeah, maybe let me explain….

1. Dance.

When I say “dance,” I don’t mean clubbing it up, grinding, twerking, all sexy-like, into the wee hours of the morning. I mean jump up and down, spin, stomp, and sweat. We’re talking my “King Louie,” as it has been dubbed by a dear friend- arms and legs flailing and swaying like the Jungle Book’s king of the apes. Dancing- like, really really dancing, not for the purpose of trying to seduce or impress or show off or blend in, but dancing like you are in your own personal disco with nobody watching- is the gateway to freedom. I’m telling you. It is restorative. It brings release. It gets the heart pumping. It puts a smile on your face. I mean, are you having a hard time getting the day going? Dance. Have you had a long day and your nerves are frazzled with pent-up frustration? Dance. Are you sad? Dance. Are you mad? Dance. Do you have something to celebrate? Dance.

A few years ago, I attended this yoga retreat that was all about overcoming fear, and at one point, they put blindfolds on all of us and turned up the music and told us to dance. It was freaking weird, man. It’s interesting how, even with a blindfold on, with nobody paying any attention to me at all, I still felt so embarrassed and reluctant to let loose. It took me a surprisingly long time to get out of my head and overcome my inhibitions, the bizarre concern about looking like an idiot or, God forbid, not doing the intended exercise “right”. At first, I could only sway and bop a little, and then, once I got out of my head and into my body, my bones and muscles loosened up. It was awesome.

Then this past summer, when I was in Costa Rica deep in the jungle, I met this wonderful woman full of life and wisdom and boldness, and we went to the beach one day and she danced- full on, full body, full force dance. There were people around and she just did not give a shit. She put her ipod on and wandered off to her own personal dance party. Bikini-clad, she stomped around in the sand and scooped up the air and swayed in the sun and used all that space. It was such a beautiful thing to see. So, while I was there in Costa Rica, I followed her lead and danced everyday. I woke up each morning, jumped out of bed, put on my headphones, and danced like a lunatic around the room. And on brave mornings, especially when it was raining that warm, strong tropical rain, I stepped outside and danced in the rain. Cliché? Maybe, but oh what a rush!

Now, I don’t know if you have seen this video: http://youtu.be/HSy7h3TPB-M. I do not yet have the guts to do this for real, but in mind, I am already dancewalking all the time. : )

So, my plan this year is to take any opportunity I get to tap my toes and shake my hips. Whether I am toweling myself off after a shower, whisking up some pancake batter, blowdrying my hair, or paying bills, I am going to dance dance dance.

More later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment