Monday, January 6, 2014

You Say You Want A Resolution? Breathe, Walk, Listen!


3. Breathe

During a Skype chat with my brother the other day, he asked me if I’d made any New Year’s resolutions. When I told him the five simple words I hope to use as my guiding goals for this year, he said, “I suppose with resolutions like that, you don’t really have to worry about failing.” I mean, breathing as a goal? Really? It’s so simple and obvious and, well, unavoidable. The thing is, though, that sometimes the best solutions to our problems are the most simple and obvious. If I think about the recurring struggles in my life, the obstacles that daily block my path, cause me frustration, tighten that knot in the belly, it is often connected to one thing: anxiety. Worrying, vibrating at an unsustainable mental frequency, rushing- these are all behaviours rooted in anxiety. I know that I can’t think my way through that to overcome it. I have tried, and it just doesn’t work. It doesn’t help to tell myself to stop worrying or to slow down. It doesn’t even help to tell myself that whatever is making me worried or making me feel like I need to rush, I can handle it. The only thing I have found that helps is to focus on the one thing I can truly regulate: my breathing. It starts and ends with the physical- a physical response to a physical sensation. I think I need to rush because I feel the physical sensation of rushing in my body. I think I need to worry because my body tells me that I am worried. So, if I can get out of my head and into my body and just breathe, everything else will eventually sort itself out. The things that are stressing me do not evaporate, but my belief in my ability to deal with those stressors improves. I become calmer, more confident, and eventually more effective.

4. Walk

Nietzsche said, “All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.” Dude knew what he was talking about! There is something incredibly restful and inspiring about walking with no particular destination in mind, with no time constraints. I haven’t done that in a while. I’d like to do more of that this year- walking and talking with a friend, walking and talking with myself, walking and watching, enjoying, noticing, resting in the rhythmic certainty of just putting one foot in front of the other. It’s good for the soul, good for the body, good for the mind.

5. Listen

I already very much like to listen- to music, to the stories of others, to the birds outside my window in the morning, to the conversations of the kids I teach who don’t know that I can hear them. Often, much of what I hear brings me joy. All these sounds make me feel connected, and remind me that I belong to something bigger than just me. Sounds are what I often miss most about the places I used to call home: the sounds of busses and garbage trucks and dinging bicycle bells, the sounds of rustling palm trees and tropical birds, the sounds of barking dogs and skipping ropes hitting the pavement. Music and memory also remain forever linked. I love how hearing a song can transport me back to another time and place where I can feel him or her beside me once again. Finally, listening to the stories and insights of others heavily shapes my understanding of my world, as it is usually through dialogue with dear friends that unformed yet weighty feelings and thoughts start to gain shape and articulation.

This year, I want to become a better listener. I often hear everything, which is sometimes a bit of a problem, because hearing everything makes it difficult to focus on something. I am perpetually distracted by sound. I am completely useless at my job if I am in one of our shared workrooms without my headphones plugged in.  I rely on music to tune out, to focus, and then later to relax and to stay asleep. I want to learn how to become a better, more refined, and selective listener. I want to learn how to listen more carefully and intentionally. I want to hear past simply the words spoken. I want to be able to focus on particular elements of a song or conversation. I want to learn how to pay closer attention, how to separate the truth from all that distracting noise. And I want to continue improving in my listening to myself, to my gut, to learn how to better differentiate between the skeptical uneasiness brought on by wisdom and the discomfort spurred by a habit of fear. I suppose that this year I want to develop wiser ears- open to all, yet more aware of what truly is worth listening to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment